Followers

2008-11-13


sorry to be so inconsistent. a quick run-through to catch up.

book review: Fruits Basket 21 by Natsuki Takaya

A great, quick read. This is the first manga series I have ever read (thanks to an NPR review of Comicon), and I have been so charmed with the whole experience. I love shojo for its complexity and for the overwhelming number of characters and character relationships. I have also decided I am partial to a particular manga drawing style. I have no idea what you would call that, but I like clean lines as opposed to sketchy action stills.

FB 21 was paced quickly and really pushed to move Kyo + Honda-san's relationship forward. Kyo struggled to work past his issues with love + death. Honda was her "too perfect" self and helps to save Akito at her own physical expense. Akito (God) struggles to make sense of a world where bonds are broken. In a very loving gesture, Momiji relates the tale of the happy traveler. Yuki explodes on Kyo and in a pivotal fight explains what protecting Tohru means. Finally, Yuki & Machi start to realize that they are not alone; together in their quiet corner of the universe, they are not alone.




















No comments: