Followers

2011-05-22

day 2



This afternoon I went with the Wangsgards and the Hadleys to Rockport, Massachusetts. It wasn't sunny, but it didn't rain. On the way I played this game with Dan and Lisa where we picked songs no one had heard and sang along full voice like we knew all the words. I'm very good at this game. I wish you had heard my Portugese. Lisa said the woman was singing "it's hard to be living in a dream."


In Rockport we walked along the coast and saw the square-rigged tall ship Formidable. They have it decked out in red sails and operate a gift shop that sells pirate-themed kitsch to tourists. There was a crocheted mermaid, a treasure map bandana, and keychains. Logan bought an eye patch. We walked past little shops that sold ice cream, strudel, ceramics, and beach jewelry. Soren looked at live lobsters inside a tank. It reminded me of Provincetown but on a much tamer level. There was a crab-shaped wine bottle holder. The crab held a wine bottle in each pincher. Merry Christmas mom and dad. 


At one point we walked up to Bearskin Neck and Soren threw rocks in the water. Apparently the stretch was named Bearskin Neck because a bear drowned and washed up on shore in the eighteenth century. I would have taken that as a bad omen. Still it's no Backlick Rd. from northern Virginia. The road was named after the salt licks that the Powhatan Indians used to attracted deer to the area.


Sitting on the lip of a roundabout I passed out the sour patch kids from yesterday. A man in a red car drove by with the windows down. He was wearing lots of silver jewelry and there was a dog in the front seat. As soon as he saw the tourists he slowed his car and started singing this song to the afternoon. He wasn't looking at anyone, but it felt like a performance. This was a song that he wanted people to hear.


Later, eating sandwiches on benches by the water I made a soccer pun for Logan. Where do all the soccer players get mocha after the big game? At the Conca Cafe. 


On the way home we stopped at Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester. According to Wikipedia "Wingaersheek" is a corruption of the Dutch name "Wyngaerts Hoeck" derived from "Wyngaerton" which means vineland. We ran along the shore, and I stuck my feet in the water. Driving back I drank a diet Dr. Pepper and felt like my mother.


This is me talking to Quinn at 12:21 am.
He's watching a recap of the RSL game.
Our first video chat.


1 comment:

hanner said...

i've always wondered about backlick road. the east is full of so many interesting street/city names. i like that you go a step further and actually find out their origins.