Followers

2008-08-29

in keeping with quinn, i will try to update this daily.

when we were in new york chaunte told me that as a general rule, successful people tend to get up early. this discourages me at best. i have thrown myself into reading to avoid thinking.


The Goose Girl

by Shannon Hale

I finished re-reading this yesterday. Hale is magnificent with prose, but I particularly like this fairy tale because I want to believe it; it's very human. To me, the best part of the novel is a story Isi, the main character, tells to a room full of animal workers. In the story horses of wind sing beautiful things and take away pain.





SLAM

by Nick Hornby

I was skeptical at first, because while I think Hornby sympathizes brilliantly with off-the-path middle aged men, I wasn't sure he could awake the 16-year old in me. To my chagrin, he did. SLAM is a (bloody) brilliant book about a young Londoner who gets his girlfriend pregnant and takes advice from Tony Hawk. To say that teen pregnancy is overdone would be an understatement, but in my teen reads, I haven't come across a more likeable portrayal of young thoughts on life, sex, and home. Not overly heavy, which I appreciate.

1 comment:

crystal said...

will you do a review of some real trashy young adult? v.c. andrews or christopher pike?