Followers

2009-03-17

THOUGHTS 3/17

My schedule is relentless.  Andy and Johnny are flying in tonight and I have no idea when I am going to get to see them.

I have not been keeping a journal.  Yes, I keep this fairweather blog, and yes, I charm around twitterspace, but I think the actual, thought-out record of my youth has come and gone without a glance or byword.

I re-read my New Year's goals today.  I am behind.  But that's nothing new.  I needed the reminder.  

I have been drawing a lot in church.  It seems like the only time in my life where I am just sitting.  Hopefully listening.  Remarkably, I think it has done good things for my memory retention.  NPR confirms this.  Maybe I will post my drawing studies.  I am very shy about my art.  I can always see my weaknesses.  I am very slow to share the things I like, even with myself.

Sometimes I think I would like to write a sexual advice column.  Something like a modern day Dear Abby where I could speculate about odd encounters with girl friends and regular readers.  Maybe I'm an odd fit in that role, but then again, maybe I'm a perfect fit.  I wish we talked about sex more.  With whoever.  Our neighbors and grandmas and strangers on the subway train.  It's interesting how hush-hush it is until you turn some awakening, rite-of-passage corner, and then it's still hush-hush but for some reason the adults are giving you winking nods and sly smiles.  You are one of us they whisper.  Nobody really knows a thing about anybody, do they?

2 comments:

hanner said...

talking about sex is one of the perks of working at my job. for some reason everyone just feels really comfortable talking about it, even the three who aren't married. it's even better to hear it from our boss who is single and a therapist.

that sounds really pervy, but whatever. now you all know, i'm a big perv.

Jaime said...

Does this mean you're going to start asking about orgasms at the next family reunion? :) haha.

Actually you reminded me of something I just read in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" - there's a part about how people didn't really talk to each other about sex because they didn't have the same words for it - couples made up their own special words for it that only they knew, so no one even had a common vocabulary to start from if they had wanted to discuss it...

At least we're not that bad anymore. I don't have a problem talking to other people about it but I would probably never be the first to bring it up myself. I bet a lot of people are the same way.